10 Semesters (5 Years)
FSc Pre-Medical with minimum 60% marks or its equivalent
Health Sciences Campus
Alacrity and competence, the two wheels on which the carriage of modern civilization runs, requires rapid recovery and Novel Drug Delivery System to save the host from adverse drug reactions as well as economic repercussions. Pharm-D is a hospital based extensive training program regarding patient care at Madinah Teaching Hospital, which enable us to present the professionally knowledgeable pharmacists for national and international health care settings. Training in extemporaneous and non- extemporaneous pharmacy, will meet the requirements of classical and modern schools of thought for patients care. Exposure to forensic pharmacy and strapping knowledge of management skills will surely contribute to handling of controlled products and sales promotion of the pharmaceuticals.
Role and Scope of Pharmacist:
Pharmacist’s role in the healthcare system is increasing with the development of new drugs, emergence of new resistant microbes, and the changes in healthcare delivery systems. With increasing healthcare costs, pharmacist’s role in providing cost effective medicines is becoming vital.
Pharmacists constitute third largest professional healthcare group in the world but they still have a long way to play a significant role in the healthcare milieu of Pakistan.
Pharmacy is an emergent field in health care system. It is a multidisciplinary profession and many opportunities are available for the legally qualified and professionally competent personnel. It is mandatory requirement to run the system under the supervision of qualified and registered pharmacists.
The graduates of pharmacy generally serve in the following fields:
- Hospital Pharmacy Services: Pharmacists are offered services for dispensing and compounding of the medicines, drug procurement, distribution and therapeutic monitoring. They advise rational use of drugs and patient managed care with proper training in the relevant fields. They are also working in Army Hospitals in Pakistan and pharmacy cores outside the country.
- Industrial Pharmacy: In the manufacturing units, the Pharmacists have to work in procurement of raw material, quality control, production and quality assertion departments for the development of safe and efficacious pharmaceutical products with cost effective approach.
- University Teaching: This is now- a-days a highly specialized job and needs expertise. The teaching methodology consists of theory, conducting practical and research work during the course of studies
- Pharmaceutical Marketing: With a strong knowledge of administration and management skills, the pharmacists have risen to the high profile executives at the country level. They are also working and holding top positions even outside the country. This is a highly aying field which adds to the sales promotion of pharmaceutical products for the generation of foreign exchange. Three courses on Marketing, Management and Quality Management in Pharmaceutics in this program of studies would help to develop a good background to achieve this end.
- Regulatory Services: The pharmacists are also working in Provincial as well as in Federal Regulatory Departments to maintain stringent control of the quality, pricing, import and export of drugs and raw materials which are used in the pharmaceutical industries
- Community Services: Pharmacists are also rendering their services in community pharmacies for handling Extemporaneous and Non Extemporaneous pharmaceutical products. They are relieving the burden on physicians and surgeons. The patient’s counseling and guidance is also looked after by them. They are also contributing in EPI and emergency services i.e. poison control, etc.
- Research and Development: It is a very vital field and needs high expertise for the development of drug delivery systems. It is meant for rapid recovery technique, safety of the host and with lesser economic burden on patients. Our physical facilities and faculty are fulfilling the requirements to train such professionals.
- Drug Information Centers: The rational use of the drugs is need of the time and the pharmacist in this regard can play very vital role by establishing these centers. People sitting in any area of this Global village may share and have an opinion from the experts. This is surely a new venue for E-commerce as well as service to humanity.
- Drug Testing Laboratories: These are the services rendered by the Pharmacists in Provincial and Federal Drug Testing Labs by analyzing the Drug Samples taken from medical stores, pharmacies and Pharma industries.
- Drug Courts: High profile professionals are essential to constitute the Provincial or Federal Drug Courts as technical members for evaluations of cases and recommendations of penalties according to Drug act. xi. Clinical Services: In various Healthcare settings, the Clinical Pharmacists evaluate the efficacious drugs and make sure their rationale use. In this way they minimize /eliminate the medication errors to save the general public from health hazards.