MESSAGE OF Dean
Professor Dr Samra Bashir
Dean faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences
Program Educational Objectives
Alacrity and competence, the two wheels on which the carriage of modern civilization runs, require rapid recovery and Novel Drug Delivery System to save the host from adverse drug reactions as well as economic repercussions.
TUF Faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences Ability-Based Outcomes (ABOs) are the provision of patient-centered care, population-based caution and promotion of health and wellness in order to apply medical and therapeutic knowledge to pharmacy practice.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES:
Upon completion of Pharm.D. program, the graduating students should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
1. Integrate and apply knowledge from basic medical, pharmaceutical, socio-behavioural, clinical and administrative sciences to the execuation of pharmacy services and solution of problems related to the pharmacy profession.
2. Identify and systematically analyze problem, explore rational solutions and make logical, safe, and ethical decisions in both familiar and unfamiliar contexts.
3. Optimize the safety and afficacy of medication use by collaborating with healthcare team, patient education, adverse reaction reporting system and applying appropriate techniques and tools for error proof prescribing, dispensing and consumption of drugs.
4. Deliver customized pharmaceutical care to the patients by identifying individual needs, patient and family preferences, cultural traditions and socio-economic conditions to improve health outcomes of the individuals.
5. Assess the health status and health needs of a population from population based data, and design, implement and evaluate evidence-based community level interventions for improving health profile of the entire population.
6. Promote individuals and community health through lifestyle-related counseling, health advice on self care, health behaviours modification, drug abuse/misuse, disease awareness and prevention, disease screening and participation in health promotion compaigns.
7. Demonstrate appropriate professional skills in manufacturing, quality management, marketing and sales of pharmaceuticals and related products to fulfill needs of pharmaceutical industry.
8. Practice pharmacy in legal, ethical and professional ways and exhibit behaviours that are compliant with social norms and values and consistent with trust given to the profession by patients, other healthcare providers, and society.
9. Work effectively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team, on multifaceted and/or multidisciplinary settings.
10. Effectively communicate and use appropriate means of communication while interacting with individuals, groups and organizations.
11. Apply basic principles of research to solve problems encountered in pharmacy practice, enhance the quality of care and services and devise better ways of accomplishing goals.
12. Recognize the importance of and persue lifelong learning by engaging in experiences and activities that challange them to continuously update their knowledge and develop new abilities for their personal and professional growth.
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences offers a range of programs to meet the growing demand for highly skilled pharmacy professionals from undergraduate Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D), to research higher degrees and postgraduate programs in Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics.
The Faculty of Pharmacy is committed to life-long learning through continuous professional development providing exceptional professional improvement programs, workshops and training for pharmacists.
The research conducted by students and faculty focuses on drugs and medications. This research reflects the breadth and depth of the questions and issues relevant to modern drug therapy including the role of pharmacists in the health care system, the mechanism of action of novel compounds, drug discovery and delivery, and countless others.
As one of the country’s leading pharmacy education and research precincts, TUF Faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences offers state-of-the-art teaching facilities such as interactive dispensing and counseling spaces, cutting-edge teaching laboratories, a Pharmacy dedicated branch of the TUF Library and innovative private and group study spaces.
Current research conducted at the Faculty includes formulation and characterization of drug-loaded microspheres and formulation development of hydrogels, nano gels, co-crystals, topical gels and development of a cost-effective nanomaterial-based diagnostic tool used to identify different infectious diseases and examination of anti-diabetic activity of different formulations in diabetic patients and leveraging health care databases to examine the effects of drugs on patient’s health and how resources are used, allowing policy-makers to make better decisions about the delivery of health care.
Pharmacy is an emergent field in the health care system. It is a multidisciplinary profession and many opportunities are available for the legally qualified and professionally competent personnel. It is a mandatory requirement to run the system under the supervision of qualified and registered pharmacists. The following fields have been offered:
- Hospital Pharmacy Services: Pharmacists are offered services for dispensing and compounding of medicines, drug procurement, distribution, and therapeutic monitoring. They advise rational use of drugs The University of Faisalabad 28 and patient managed care with proper training in the relevant fields. They are also working in Army Hospitals in Pakistan and pharmacy cores outside the country.
- Industrial Pharmacy: In the manufacturing units, the Pharmacists have to work in the procurement of raw material, quality control, production and quality assertion departments for the development of safe and efficacious pharmaceutical products with cost-effective approach.
- University Teaching: This is now-a-days a highly specialized job and needs expertise. The teaching methodology consists of theory, conducting practical and research work during the course of studies.
- Pharmaceutical Marketing: With a strong knowledge of administration and management skills, the pharmacists have risen to the high profile executives at the country level. They are also working and holding top positions even outside the country. This is a high paying field that adds to the sales promotion of pharmaceutical products for the generation of foreign exchange. Three courses on Marketing, Management, and Quality Management in Pharmaceutics in this program of studies would help to develop a good background to achieve this end.
- Regulatory Services: The pharmacists are also working in Provincial as well as in Federal Regulatory Faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences to maintain stringent control of the quality, pricing, import and export of drugs and raw materials that are used in the pharmaceutical industries.
- Community Services: Pharmacists are also rendering their services in community pharmacies for handling Extemporaneous and Non Extemporaneous pharmaceutical products. They are relieving the burden on physicians and surgeons. The patient's counseling and guidance is also looked after by them. They are also contributing in EPI and emergency services i.e. poison control, etc.
- Research and Development: It is a very vital field and needs high expertise for the development of drug delivery systems. It is meant for rapid recovery techniques, the safety of the host and with a lesser economic burden on patients. Our physical facilities and faculty are fulfilling the requirements to train such professionals.
- Drug Information Centers: The rational use of the drugs is the need for the time and the pharmacist in this regard can play a very vital role by establishing these centers. People sitting in any area of this Global village may share and have an opinion from the experts. This is surely a new venue for E-commerce as well as service to humanity.
- Drug Testing Laboratories: These are the services rendered by the Pharmacists in Provincial and Federal Drug Testing Labs by analyzing the Drug Samples taken from medical stores, pharmacies and Pharmaceutical industries.
- Drug Courts: High profile professionals are essential to constitute the Provincial or Federal Drug Courts as technical members for evaluations of cases and recommendations of penalties according to Drug act.
- Clinical Services: In various Healthcare settings, the Clinical Pharmacists evaluate the efficacious drugs and make sure their rationale use. In this way, they minimize /eliminate the medication errors to save the general public from health hazards.
“Framework of Outcome-Based Education (O...Department of Pharmacy
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sc...